Lovely Girl   +  publishing

Note to Self...

Check editor's email addresses carefully! Several months ago I sent an essay to an editor at a major daily paper (not naming names). Eventually I heard that he was interested but wanted some rewrites, which I dutifully completed and sent off a month ago. I never heard from him, but I figured he edits a major daily paper, so he's probably busy. I patiently followed up every week or so, until yesterday the suspense got the better of me and I called him (I know calling an editor is often frowned upon but this guy, it's sometimes the only way to get an answer and he never acts like it's a crime).He swore he never got it, and I swore I'd sent it multiple times. Then I got back to my desk and realized that I'd added an extra letter (his first initial, which many editors use but he doesn't) and the paper probably has so many email addresses that they don't send out error messages. Hopefully we can chalk it up to those "darn spam filters" and laugh about it later. Next time I will double-check the email addy before spending a month in agony waiting for a response!

UPDATE: I resent the rewrite to the correct email address, followed up by phone, and he still doesn't have my essay. I even tried sending from a different email account, but it seems there are little gremlins trying to prevent me from publishing!