Lovely Girl   +  writing

How to Give Yourself a Raise

Last week, I was chatting with some fellow freelancers at a networking event when one of them asked what a certain website pays.

"Well, they usually offer $X, but you can negotiate to $Y," I said.

"You mean one can negotiate or you can negotiate?" he asked.

Apparently several of the writers I was talking to had never thought to ask for more money. "Can you really do that?" they asked.

Yes, you can! And you should. Here's how.

Know the Market

Most freelancers do several different types of projects, and it's helpful to know the appropriate pay ranges for the work that you do. Organizations like the National Writers Union can be a good resource for finding out other freelancers charge for similar work.

If you write for publications, a lot of them play coy when it comes to their pay rates ("payment varies" is a common phrase in a lot of writer's guidelines). But you can still find out other writers are earning by doing a little research. One of my favorite resources is the Freelance Success Pay Check database. You'll have to pay for access, but it's a worthwhile investment for serious writers. If you have a close freelance friend, they can probably clue you in to the publications they write for (and hopefully you'll do the same for them).

Be Diplomatic

I know it's scary to ask for more money, but you won't get what you don't ask for. You don't need to negotiate every single assignment, but I think it's appropriate to ask for a pay raise once you have a solid track record with a certain client or publication. In that scenario, I might write an email like this.

Hi Sally,
I'm so glad you liked my last piece! I love contributing to the magazine, and I'm excited to get started on this next assignment. Since this is my fifth profile for you and readers have sent great feedback on my work so far, I wondered if we could discuss a pay increase? I hope to contribute contributing, but these pieces are fairly research-intensive, so let me know if you have any flexibility in your budget. Thanks!

Susan

Of course, sometimes it makes sense to negotiate from the beginning so they don't get used to paying you the lower rate. Here's an example of that type of negotiation.

Hi David,
I'm delighted that you want to assign this piece! Still, $XX seems a bit low for the word count and the amount of research required. Is there any flexibility in your budget? Please let me know, as I would love to contribute to your website. Thanks!

Susan

In both cases I wouldn't name a number, because you're just trying to feel them out and see what they can offer. In some cases, I've gotten more than I'd hoped for because I waited for the editor to show their hand. I have only turned down assignments a few times (and usually because of contract terms or the lack of a contract, not the pay), so my attitude is usually, "can't hurt to ask," not "I'm walking unless they double my rate."

With copywriting clients, many writers send a letter or email explaining that their rates will be changing as of a certain date. I haven't done this myself, but I agree that it's best to give people plenty of notice and notify them in writing. Here you can also include a plug for your services, like "to continue providing high quality copywriting services, I will be adjusting my rates as of January 1." And give them the option to lock in your services at the current rate if they book you ahead and pay in advance!

Cultivate Higher Paying Clients

There comes a point in every freelancer's career where they reach a pay ceiling. Even with raises, the websites and magazines I wrote for earlier in my career just can't give me the compensation I'm looking for. So, I've moved on, and when prospects ask for my rates, I quote them an hourly rate that would have felt ridiculous to me a few years ago. Because that's what my services are worth.

As you build your portfolio and your confidence, it becomes easier to seek out these clients or land them through referrals. It's sometimes tricky raising your rates with existing clients, so often it's easier to set a higher rate with a new client who has no idea that you used to write for pennies. Just don't get too comfortable at your current rate or you'll miss the opportunity to earn more.

Have you successfully asked for a raise from an editor or client? What strategies have you used to negotiate?

Flickr photo courtesy of Darren Hester