Lovely Girl   +  writers on writing

5 Q's with Melissa Walker

Former ELLEGirl editor Melissa Walker recently released her first (of three!) novel, which is called Violet on the Runway . She’s now freelancing full time, but in her past life at ELLEGirl, she once spent 24 hours with male models and attended a finishing school for girls “all in the name of journalism,” as she writes on her website. How'd she do all that? Read on to find out!
Urban Muse: Tell us about your first major magazine clip.
Melissa:
I was an intern at McCall’s magazine, and the entertainment editor asked me to do some research on celebrities and charity work. It ended up being a two-page spread, and I got a byline! I made my mother buy every copy in Chapel Hill so I could save them. Jamie Lee Curtis was on the cover with a golden retriever. I treasured that byline!
UM: What can freelance writers do to really wow an editor?
M:
Honestly, the best things to do are the “duh” things: 1. Read the magazine, 2. Target your story to a particular section and make sure it really fits that section. It sounds silly, but a lot of writers aren’t really familiar with the magazines they’re pitching. If you read a few back issues, know the regular sections and know what’s been covered in the past 6 months or so, you are way ahead of the game. Then, when you pitch your idea, you’ll know that—for example—the “Friends” section always includes a stat and two sidebars, so you’ll have those built into your pitch.
UM: How do you stay motivated when you’re working on a bigger project like a novel?
M:
It’s definitely hard. I try to write in the morning and not allow myself lunch until I have 1000 words. I do that five days a week (ideally). Then, the afternoon is free for magazine work or other shorter-term writing I have on my plate. After lunch, of course.
UM: What was the editing process like for Violet on the Runway? Did the idea change much from your original conception?
M:
Not at all. The idea of a small-town, gawky girl getting discovered was the start of everything, as it was one my editor loved (she’d just seen two chapters and a one-page outline), so there weren’t any huge shifts. I did bulk up one scene and change the tone of a couple of moments (my editor, Kate Seaver, is very wise with tone).
UM: And I’m sure we’re all dying to know… where does one sign up to spend 24 hours with male models ? Seriously, though, what did you take away from that experience?
M:
That 24 hours actually helped in the book process a lot. Before that experience, I’d interviewed models and spent an hour or so with them at a time, but actually hanging out in their living space for 24 hours showed me a lot more about the full life. How they ate on bread plates, slept in bunk beds, went to the gym for two hours during the day, waited around for calls from their agents. And, of course, looked utterly hot while just watching TV. I’m not gonna say I didn’t enjoy that assignment.I'll bet! If you'd like to read more about Melissa, check out this interview on About.com .