Lovely Girl   +  writing

Open Thread: Low-Hanging Fruit or Golden Apple?

Like Linda Formichelli, I've begun to feel overwhelmed lately, which has prompted me to think about ways to simplify and streamline my business. As a generalist with a few specialties, I'm often chasing multiple stories with multiple publications across multiple niches. It's great to have lots of assignments in the works, but sometimes this stretches you a little too thin. So I started thinking ... if I were to focus on pitching three publications over the next three months, which would they be? Would I make it a goal to re-establish contact with editors I've worked with in the past and land more repeat assignments with publications I'm comfortable writing for? Or would I focus on landing plum assignments with my dream markets, even though it often feels like the odds are against me? I know if I continue setting too many goals and pursuing too many markets at once (as I did when I was initially building my business and running on sheer enthusiasm), I'll never escape this feeling that I'm stuck on a hamster wheel, racing to keep up with deadlines and follow-up emails and pitches. But it's not a good idea to get too complacent and focus on low-hanging markets, even though those may mean a likelier assignment. I suspect that's how many people end up writing for content mills. It's easy money and they don't have to risk rejection. On the other hand, it doesn't seem smart to adopt tunnel vision over national markets that get hundreds of pitches daily (the golden apple, if you will). So, for this week's open thread, let's discuss how these conflicting forces relate to freelancers. I think my ideal scenario is a balance between aspirational markets that stretch me creatively and steady markets that feed my bank account. Of course, if I were freelancing on the side for fun, my priorities might be different. Which is more important for you? Have you found a way to balance the two? I'd love to know!
Flickr photo courtesy of fauxto_digit