Lovely Girl   +  success

Open Thread: Dealing with Writer Envy

Earlier this week, I wrote about participating in the writing community by helping others. But there is a darker side to these connections, and that’s the ugly green monster that often rears its misshapen head when good things happen to other people.

I admit I’ve occasionally had feelings of jealousy towards other writers, but most of the time I’m pretty Zen about it. That’s because I’m in a place where I’ve had plenty of success stories (and hope to have many more) and know that there are plenty of words and bylines to go around.

In fact, most of the time when an essay blows me away or I get goose bumps from someone’s narrative style, it actually challenges me to write with more passion, clarity, or vitality.

How do you deal with jealous or resentment? Have you found a way to use those feelings to fuel your own writing?