Lovely Girl   +  writing

Guest Post: How to Balance a 9-to-5 Job with Freelancing

By Alyssa Martino"You might get burned out,” my mother suggests after I receive the job offer. "Writing may come easy to you now, but you may find differently when it's a full time job.”

The next day, I accept the position.

I change my title on social networking sites and in my g-mail signature. "Copywriter/Editor." I am giddy, somewhat ironically, beyond words.

Nonetheless, spending 8 hours a day writing about health care wasn't exactly in my master plan. As a writer, I prefer capturing the quirks and connections of daily life: refugees living in America, the sadness of old age, and my dad's obsession with Halloween.

Still, can't we have it all? The security of a full-time writing position and the joy of coming home, pulling out our lap tops, and gushing over what we really love?

The answer, I hope, is yes.

Here are a couple tips for balancing a writing-intensive day job with a freelance career without burning out:

  • Stop yawning and get fired up. Find a method for re-energizing yourself once you arrive home from work. For me, going on a run does the trick. No matter how tired I am, pushing myself gets the gears ticking again--often with more vigor than before! This habit helps me regain focus, shifting from medical land to whatever publication I've set my sites on. Whether it be running, yoga, or even just some deep breaths, find a routine and stick with it.
  • Prioritize quality. Call me an idealist, but I believe writing should be about quality--not quantity--content. My 2010 New Year's resolution was to publish just one article per month. The catch: I have to really pour myself into these pieces, obsess over detail and language and meaning. We can't do it all, but we can do our best.
  • Write when the lightening strikes. Sometimes, my 40 minute commute necessitates "couch time" in the evenings. As a result, buckling down when inspiration hits is an Absolute Truth. If the juices flow more freely at night, then grab some caffeine. Believe me, you'll be more upset over losing a great metaphor than losing sleep.
  • Write what you love. If your passion is Zimbabwe, write about Zimbabwe. Same goes for parenting, politics, or poetry. Don't waste time on topics you don't care about; after all, you're employed and have a steady income. And if you are just looking for extra cash, chances are you'll be a lot less fulfilled writing promotional copy for that garbage truck company down the street--even if they do pay decently. [Apologies to any readers who genuinely enjoys freelancing for a waste-related client. To each his or her own].
  • Write what you know. When your time is precious, it may not make sense to begin several huge projects on foreign topics. Limit your research-heavy submissions, and instead, dig deep into the vaults. Is there something you studied in College that can be made timely again? Write from real life, too--the characters you've observed for months, even years. Turn your job into a muse. It's likely your office has a Michael Scott or two, so use them. And if you struggle finding stories in your daily life, then you should probably look a little bit harder.
What do you have think? Have you juggled a day job with creative side projects? What are your tips for achieving balance?Alyssa Martino is a writer, copyeditor, and freelancer who lives just outside Washington, DC. She has written for a variety of print and online publications. Her creative nonfiction is here.

Interested in contributing a guest blog post of your own? Check out the guest blogger guidelines.
Flickr photo courtesy of orangebrompton