Lovely Girl   +  writing

Guest Post: 12 Query Letters, 12 Rejections: My first month as a freelancer

By Stacy Lipson I have a corkboard behind my desk. On it, I’ve posted a sign: Never give up.

No one ever said freelancing was going to be easy. Still, I was unprepared when my first rejection letter rolled in. And then twelve more. Some were short in length; others ran for a paragraph or more. No thanks. We’ll pass. I’ve received rejection before. The first college I ever applied to rejected me before I even finished my application. My first summer home from college, I applied for a part-time job as a cashier, and received my rejection letter in a pink envelope. Ouch.

When I received my pack of rejection letters by e-mail, I wanted to crawl into a ball and hide under the covers. I wanted to quit. I was pulling fifty hour weeks with no payoff. Family members were sending me emails with subject lines like YOU ARE GOING TO GO BANKRUPT. I started to wonder if I was in over my head.

And then my first acceptance letter arrived. The silver lining!

I don’t know what lies ahead. But I’m not giving up. I have a steady supply of Ramen noodles and my Silver Reed typewriter (yes, I’m old-school). My parents have blessed me with an incredible stubborn streak, and in the off-chance that fails, I know that a career at McDonalds awaits me. Kidding.

A writer friend of mine recently sent me an e-mail: Have courage. She’s right. You’re going to need courage for the days when the only thing that you write is a check for your electric bill. And you’re going to need courage for the days when your shrink is out of town and your friends have blocked you because you’ve been bouncing too many ideas and they just can’t take it anymore . Courage. It’s a start.

Stacy Lipson is a freelance writer specializing in health. Her writing has appeared in a variety of publications including MarieClaire.com, YourTango.com, Natural Health magazine and other publications. In her free time she likes to bake and watch television sitcoms.
Interested in contributing a guest blog post of your own? Check out the guest blogger guidelines. Flickr photo courtesy of Frerieke