Lovely Girl   +  writing quotes

10 Writing Quotes to Amuse and Inspire

If all goes according to plan, I will be relaxing at my uncle's cabin in Maine when you read this post. Since I'm hoping the trip will help me unplug and return home refreshed, I thought this would be a good opportunity to share some of the amusing and/or inspirational quotes I've read recently. Want even more inspiration? Check out the list of 30 writing quotes I posted at the beginning of this year. Be sure to scroll down to the comments, as there are some gems in there as well. And if you know of a great writing quote I haven't included, please leave a comment below.

  1. "Books in your head help no one." ~Sam Horn
  2. "Don’t be too precious or attached to anything you write. Let things be malleable." ~Tina Fey
  3. "Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." ~Edward Albee
  4. "Writing calls on unused muscles and involves solitude and immobility." ~Dorothea Brande
  5. "The good writing of any age has always been the product of someone's neurosis.” ~William Styron
  6. "Do not write merely to be understood. Write so you cannot possibly be misunderstood." Robert Louis Stevenson
  7. "Never judge a book by its movie." ~J.W. Eagan
  8. "The first chapter sells the book; the last chapter sells the next book." ~Mickey Spillane
  9. "If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.” ~James Goldsmith
  10. "If you can't write your idea on the back of my calling card, you don't have a clear idea." ~David Belasco
Which quote do you like best? Why? Any others you'd add? Flickr photo courtesy of bowena