Lovely Girl   +  writing for the web

Things I Didn't Know About the Web

Last week I took a one night Media Bistro seminar on Writing and Editing for the Web. In spite of the stifflyingly hot temperature of the room, I managed to pick up several tips I hadn't already learned during my (very expensive) college communication career. Such as...

  1. The number of blogs doubles every month (wowzer!)
  2. Users look at a webpage in an F shape (not left to right like traditional print media)
  3. If you want people to comment, end with a provocative statement (OK, I kinda knew this already but it bears repeating)
  4. Simple, rather than cute navigation is more effective; don't make the user think too much because they'll go elsewhere (case in point - I changed some of the headers in my right column navigation)
  5. Most people understand how hyperlinks work so hyperlinking keyboards makes those points stand out (for example, Susan's fabulous website instead of click here to read Susan's fabulous website)
  6. Thanks to Google, users don't always start on the homepage (also bears repeating)

Any surprising facts you've learned about the web? Share the wealth!