Lovely Girl   +  sources

Open Thread: When Do You Stick a Fork In It & Call It Done?

Last year, I posted an open thread about finishing a piece of writing. Usually I don't have a problem knowing when to say when, because my assignments are short and clearly defined, so once I get within spitting distance of the assigned word count, I know I need to wind things down. And when sources start saying the same thing, I know it's time to wrap up the reporting (assuming I have a variety of perspectives represented). But in writing my guide to LinkedIn for Rockable Press, I just couldn't seem to call it quits, because the topic is so massive and I wanted to do it justice. And because it's more of an open-ended pet project than a client project with a clear scope, I was essentially the client, and it turns out I'm not so easy to please. I'd created an outline, which my editor approved, but I kept discovering new features, new stats, new sources, new ways to use the site. Just when I'd think "two more sections and I'm done," I'd click on a link and fall down a virtual rabbit hole of possibilities. "Wow, this would make a great sidebar!" I'd say. "I'll include this, and let my editor decide if it's overkill. After all, we want to be thorough." After a week of Just One More Sidebar Syndrome, I knew I had to call it quits or join a sidebar-aholics support group. Oh, believe me, I've been tempted to write more, and I've bookmarked a couple of new studies on the topic, but right I'm trying to let the manuscript marinate for a few days before I get feedback from my proofreader, give it one more pass, and send to my editor. Anyone else have this problem? How do you save yourself from endless additions and revisions? Flickr photo courtesy of Dalboz 17