Lovely Girl   +  reading

Nineties Nostalgia

Those of you who came of age in the 1990’s probably remember the Scholastic book orders. Once a month, the teacher handed out those colorful little order forms that listed all of the books available to students that month (this was pre-Amazon, of course). I pored over all the options and saved up my allowance to buy Babysitter’s Club and American Girl books, most of which set me back $0.99 to $2.99.

If the desired book was more expensive, I could usually get Mom to write a check for the sake of literacy. Recently I found myself reminiscing about all the books I read back in the day (for those of you who have kids in school, do they still hand out book orders and if so, how much do Scholastic books cost nowadays?). Now if I usually hit up the library (and befriend book publicists) for reading material, because books have gotten very expensive . Yes, they last longer than a movie, but at the rate I plow through them, I rarely pay full price. What do you miss about your childhood?