Lovely Girl   +  strategy

Lessons from My Coaching Experiment

A few weeks ago, I decided to hire a business coach to help me work out some communication issues with a client. It's a long story, which you can read about here, but I didn't end up hiring a coach, because I realized that the issues that prompted me to search for a coach weren't so major after all and that my intuition had done a darn good job of dealing with them. Much as I hate the idea of pumping other self-employed professionals for free advice (not that this was my intention - I did have a genuine interest in coaching), I learned a few things from my conservations with prospective coaches.

  • Don't apologize for charging what you're worth.
    I know my hourly rate is at the low end of the copywriting spectrum, but somehow I still feel a little uncomfortable telling prospective clients my rates. The coaches I talked to did not flinch when quoting me rates that were several times what I charge. Admittedly, we do different work, but instead of thinking "how the heck am I supposed to afford $XXX/session? That's absurd!," I thought, "you go, girl! Way to value your time and the value you bring to the table!" At those rates, they can afford to give clients a little extra time in between sessions without nickel and diming them or having it come out of their own pockets. Seeing what other businesswomen charge for their services made me less self-conscious about my own rates.
  • Set clear expectations upfront.
    Many of the issues I've run into with clients can be traced back to early conversations in which the scope was nebulous and the parameters were vague. Each copywriting client is different, so it's tough to create a "one size fits all" model for working with clients. But while the coaches I talked to recognized the individual needs of each client, they were also very clear in structuring the relationship. They had a follow-up strategy, they expected a deposit before the first session, and they didn't tip-toe around policies designed to protect themselves and prevent scope creep. Other freelancers (including myself) should take note!
  • Be honest to build trust.
    Some freelancers have a hard time giving advice that creates cognitive dissonance with that client thinks they want. But it's often in the client's (and the freelancer's) best interest to do so, even if it means less work for the freelancer. The second coach I talked to actually managed to convince me that maybe I didn't need a coach. I was surprised at first, but I could tell that the coach wouldn't feel comfortable charging me to solve a problem that she didn't see as much of a problem. Plus, she usually works with women who need major shifts in their careers or lifestyle, so I didn't really fit her ideal client profile. The fact that she had the confidence and integrity to tell me makes me think very I could trust her if I needed a coach in the future or if someone asked for recommendations.
Have you used a coach to boost your business? What were your experiences or impressions? I'd love to know!