Lovely Girl   +  social media

Befriending Other Freelancers

Last night I took a course on general freelancing: making the transition to self-employment, dealing with clients, setting your rates, that sort of thing. Most of the material was no surprise (after all, I've been like a sponge these past few months trying to soak up as much information as I can). But it was interesting to hear it from the perspective of a computer consultant, rather than a fellow freelance writer. He pointed out that by cross-pollinating and socializing with people outside of your immediate area of expertise, you can hear solutions and ideas that might be applicable to your field but come from others. That was probably the most salient lesson of the evening.
The class included designers, computer programmers, small business owners, translators, and all of us had essentially the same issues. How do we earn what we're worth and how do we define our ideal client? That was also the topic of conversation over brunch last weekend when I chatted with a friend who earns her living as a private music teacher. I was fascinated to hear stories about her students and their parents, plus how she uses word of mouth to keep her studio running. We also commiserated over the whole self-employed tax situation...

So, this weekend as you're heading to BBQs, baby showers, or bachelorette parties, I recommend that you spend a few minutes chatting with other small business-owners, freelancers, or consultants. Drop the whole "do you need a writer?" or "let me give you my card" routine and ask them about their favorite project. Or how they're dealing with issues of work-life balance. I bet they'll have interesting things to say.