Lovely Girl   +  Tips & Tricks

Open Thread: What's On Your Summer Reading List?

Read any good books lately? Do tell! Although my assignments have been keeping my busy, I have found a little time to squeeze in some reading, mostly thanks to the ebook apps on my iPhone. Here are some of the books I've read and loved over the last few months, along with a quick recap:

  • The Violets of March by Sarah Jio. This beautifully written debut novel jumps back and forth in time between the present day and the 1940's, weaving an intriguing tale of love, guilt, and the many things that go unsaid. I also loved the descriptions of Bainbridge Island, Washington. Check out my recent interview with Sarah Jio, too.
  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Told from the point of view of two colored maids and a white aspiring writer in Mississippi circa 1963, it's the kind of book that's almost impossible to put down once you've started it. Expect a future post devoted to some of its themes and lessons for writers.
  • POP!: Create the Perfect Pitch, Title, and Tagline for Anything by Sam Horn.* Filled with clever examples and actionable tips, POP! shows readers how to brainstorm memorable ways to describe their ideas or products. A great read for copywriters or others who want to find creative ways to stand out.
  • Spousonomics: Using Economics to Master Love, Marriage, and Dirty Dishes by Paula Szuchman and Jenny Anderson. Although I'm not married, I thoroughly enjoyed this smart take on marriage, as viewed through the lens of economics. The book also inspired this Learnvest article for which I interviewed Szuchman.
And here are the books I'm hoping to tackle later this summer:
  • Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakthrough by Ruth Pennebaker. The few pages that I've read so far have been hilarious, and I can certainly relate to the inter-generational issues between grandmother, mother, and daughter. (Mom, if you're reading this, please don't take offense.)
  • Bossypants by Tina Fey. I love Tina Fey, and I've heard such great things about this book!
  • Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (coincidentally, also pictured above). Though they tackle weighty subjects, Picoult's books all have this addictively readable quality that sucks me in, temporarily blocking out all other thoughts. This one has been on my shelf for awhile awaiting some quality reading time.
What about you? Are there any books you're dying to reach this summer? Or anything you'd recommend? Leave a comment and let us know! *Sam Horn spoke on my ebooks panels for ASJA, so she sent me a gratis copy of POP! Although I know several of the writers mentioned above, I purchased all of their books (with the exception of POP!) and have not received any monetary compensation for these comments, which are entirely my own. Flickr photo courtesy of lincolnblues