Lovely Girl   +  writing

Boost Your Skills, Negotiate Better Contracts & More

It's been unusually quiet here at The Urban Muse, and a lot of that has to do with the insane number of deadlines I've had lately. Yes, it's a high-class problem to have, so I won't complain about it too much. But it's been hectic, I will say that. In addition to working on a book for Rockable Press and the usual journalism and copywriting assignments, I've also been blogging about freelancing for Ebyline. Here are a few of my recent posts for Ebyline to keep the freelance ideas flowing until things calm down and I can start focusing on this blog again:5 Ways to Find Expert Sources on Short NoticeEarlier this week, I landed two last-minute freelance assignments requiring experts in the corporate finance and credit card industries. At first, it felt like a mad scramble to track down expert sources and pull everything together in a matter of days. Somehow, I managed to beat the clock and meet my deadlines. Read how I did it.

5 Skills That Make Freelance Writers More MarketableGone are the days when simply being a strong writer was enough to earn a living. Nowadays, many editors and clients expect freelancers to have skills beyond writing a snappy headline or a poignant turn of phrase. Read about other skills that editors and writing clients want.

5 Essential Components of a Freelance ContractRepeat after me: “I will not work without a contract.” It’s a simple mantra, yet so many of us don’t follow it. I know this, because I learned it … the hard way. Contracts don’t just protect the client’s interests; they can also protect the freelancer from scope creep or nonpayment. Here's how.
Flickr photo courtesy of phil_fry