Lovely Girl   +  writing for the web

Writing for the Web

A week into my new role as copywriter and project manager and I'm immersing myself in Persuasive Online Copywriting , which is unfortunately out of print, but our CEO recommended the book and leant me his copy. I find it applicable for improving my personal site and writing copy for my company. Here's what I've learned so far:

  1. Shorter copy is not always best. The topic and approach should dictate length, so don’t shortchange the message.
  2. Formal language (“Dear Resident, we regret that we are unable to procure the item you requested”) doesn’t work online. Content should feel one-to-one instead of an entity addressing the masses. Companies need to develop a personality based on the product and goals.
  3. People buy based on emotion, so tap into emotions rather than logic. Show features rather than listing benefits (“our lipstick stays put all day long” instead “this lipstick contains Compound X”). Copy needs to be customer-centered (more “you” than “we” or “our”).
  4. Increase online revenue by increasing traffic and conversation rate and upping merchandising.

For more on improving your website, check out these common mistakes .