Lovely Girl   +  reading

What I'm Reading

One of the (only) benefits of spending two hours a day commuting is that I get tons of reading done on the train. And the warmer the weather, the more I can justify reading fluffy fun beach reads (hey, if I can't be on the beach, at least I can escape with a good book).Here's what I've been reading lately:

Eat, Pray, Love . This was my book club's pick for May and so far appears to be the universal favorite of the group. It's about a newly divorced journalist who goes to Italy to enjoy the food, India to study yoga, and Bali to learn from a medicine man. Chronicling her journey of self-discovery, this memoir could make even the most apathetic couch potato yearn to travel. We disagreed about which section was the best (it's divided into thirds to denote each third of her trip), but I found the characters in Bali to be the most vivid and interesting, while the sensory descriptions of Italian food made my mouth water (which says a lot because I don't eat meat).

Party Girl . If James Frey had written chick lit, it would probably read a lot like Party Girl (and he wouldn't have had that Oprah debacle over whether he'd fabricated his story because then we'd know it was fiction). It has that page-turning quality of A Million Little Pieces combined with a heavy dose of Hollywood gossip. This debut novel by Anna David is loosely based on David's own experiences as a celebrity journalist and recovering party girl. I read David's hilarious essay in "Modern Love " a few months ago, so I was super-excited when her publicist contacted me about the book. In fact, I'm interviewing Anna next Wednesday as part of 5 Q's , which brings me to...

What I'm reading next...

Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys . If Anna's essay is any indication, then this anthology of essays about straight women/gay men friendships is going to be great. Heck, what modern woman hasn't known the exquisite agony of a smart, good-looking man who prefers other smart, good-looking men to smart, fabulous you? The only thing more fabulous would be if my personal essay about going to senior prom with my high school's only openly gay man as we both crushed on the prom king were to be published. How about a second edition: Riding in Cars with Boys... Who Like Boys?

Eleven Minutes . This is the June book club pick. My roommate loves Paulo Coelho... That's about all I know... Anyone else read it?