Lovely Girl   +  strategy

Ready, Set... Network!

Today after work, despite the overwhelming urge to frolic in the sun, I headed to a MediaBistro event to mingle with some fellow freelancers and to meet a certain new editor. As I hovered near said editor, waiting for my opportunity to inject myself into the conversion, I chatted with a young woman nearby who had some excellent networking advice.She handles sales for a TV program, so I was interested in how she works the room and what types of connections she makes. She whispered that her secret is to befriend the hosts and ask to see the guest list. "That way I know who's here and how long I want to spend looking for them," she explained. Way smarter than my strategy of talking up people in front of the table of free food!Then she handed me another nugget of gold. I mentioned that my apartment is near her office, and she added "Mr. Editor is looking to move there." So, naturally, when I had my chance to wow him with my dazzling conversation skills and witty repartee, I already had a good conversation starter: offering insider info about the local restaurants and hang-outs instead of blabbering about my publishing creds. He immediately handed me his card, and we've already started exchanging emails...