Lovely Girl   +  open thread

Open Thread: What Are Your Deal-Breakers?

In business, just as in dating and in friendship, there are some annoyances you can tolerate and others that have you running towards the express train to Splitsville. Today I’d like to discuss some of those deal-breakers.

I’ve chatted with several writers who refuse to sign work-for-hire agreements or contracts that include nasty indemnity clauses. Me? I like to avoid those pesky things when I can, but not when it means missing out a really amazing assignment. And when it comes to non-bylined or ghostwritten assignments (which some writers hate because it’s not part of their “platform”), I’m happy to tackle those as long as the check has my name on it.

Personally, I start pumping the brakes when I sense that someone is playing mind games. Recently I had an editor try to haggle on price after I’d signed the contract. “You can’t pay the amount we originally agreed upon? Then I can’t write this piece. Sayonara!” Or when the scope keeps changing to the point where it feels like I’m shooting at a moving target. “Call me when you figure out what you want.” This may sound harsh, but it’s all in the name of self-preservation. After all, editors earn a salary, but I get paid by the assignment. Extra haggling means extra time that could be spent on other projects.

What gets your blood boiling? When do you decide to walk away?