Lovely Girl   +  LIFE

Health Insurance for Freelance Writers

Last weekend, I registered for health insurance through the Massachusetts Health Connector (I've been using COBRA, since I worked during part of May and wasn't eligible for Health Connector coverage until June 1). Don't get me wrong: I'm grateful to live in a state that has (relatively) low cost health insurance. But they certainly don't make it easy.First I entered my birth date and zip code. Simple enough. Then I had to find my "industry code." They have a list of professions ranging from forestry workers to textile manufacturers and professional gamblers. They even list "nonstore retailers" and "death care service providers" (whatever those mean). But there is no industry code for freelance writers, journalists, editors, or proofreaders. I kid you not - I looked through every single category and we are conspicuously missing.Finally, I settled on "other professional, scientific and technical services." I fully expect a call from my new insurance company to verify the specific scientific or technical service I provide. That is an excellent question... Maybe I should have registered as a forestry worker?If you're looking for actual advice on health insurance as a freelancer, then check out these posts:Freelance Switch: Health Insurance for FreelancersRenegade Writers: Health Insurance Options for Freelancers