Lovely Girl   +  writing

6 Ways to Find Writing Markets

Now that I have more time to focus on querying, I've been actively seeking out new writing markets, which is fun (and exhausting at times). Here are some of the search strategies I've uncovered:

  1. Media Directories: I've used Bacon's in the past, but I recently got a free trial for Corner Bar PR. I found the different search functions a little cumbersome, so I just went to the page with every single magazine listed and plugged in keywords like "woman" and "career." This yielded me tons of new markets to try!
  2. Renegade Writers Market Wiki: This is a great example of writers helping other writers. Basically, the wiki is updated by readers sharing their insights and contacts at different publications. Be sure to add your own info to promote positive writing karma.
  3. Other writer's websites: I'm always interested in seeing where other writers are contributing. Often as I'm reading through their portfolio or list of publishing credits I'll uncover a new magazine or website that I've never heard of.
  4. Del.icio.us: I could spend hours trolling around this site and uncovering new markets based on what others are bookmarking. This post offers more ways to use Del.icio.us.
  5. Bookstores and libraries: I'm always on the lookout for obscure magazines. Bookstores are a wonderful research tool for recent magazine issues, then I head to the library to check out the archives.
  6. New magazine releases: Magazine Yellow Page's New Launch section and Mr. Magazine's blog are two great sites for staying up on new magazine releases. It's often easier to break in when a magazine is just starting out because they don't have a full stable of writers already.

A note of caution: be careful dealing with brand new publications, because of possible financing issues. If you're being paid on publication and they can't give you a date when the article will run, I'd RUN in the opposite direction!