Lovely Girl   +  writers on writing

5 Q's with Allison Winn Scotch

Marie Claire calls The Department of Lost and Found “smart and well-written.” Booklist says its “an impressive debut." I say it’s a pageturning, pitch-perfect novel about cancer and coming into one’s own. I was so enthralled by her use of details and quirky characters that I devoured the book in just a few days. Thus, it’s an honor to chat with first-time novelist and veteran freelancer Allison Winn Scotch. Most of you already know her as Ask Allison. So without further ado, here’s… Allison!

Urban Muse: Since TDFL was inspired by your friend's battle with cancer, was it difficult to write about the topic?
Allison:
It was and it wasn’t. It was because I often put myself in my friend’s position to tap into emotions that she may have felt while going through her battle, and it was often really painful to realize and accept the fear and anguish she must have felt. So, in that way, my heart broke for her all over again while writing it. But at the same time, writing TDLF really gave me a sense of power against cancer, even though it was a fictitious power. When Lizzie was diagnosed and fighting the disease, I think everyone around her felt a complete loss of control – all we could do is try to cheerlead from the sidelines – and when I was writing, I was able to assume the reigns back over the disease. And in that sense, as odd as it might sound, it really helped me cope with my grief and the loss of losing her.

UM: Any hints about your second novel?
A:
Ah, the fated second novel! This one is proving a tad more difficult than TDLF, which I’ve heard is pretty standard for authors. But it’s about the complications of becoming an adult: how we adjust to life when adulthood is thrust upon us and we don’t quite feel ready for it. That’s probably the overall theme, and then within that, it deals with the entanglements of female friendships – why we tie ourselves to certain people and when is it time to let go?, as well as the complexity of marriage – how you sustain love when there are so many obstacles that might pull you away from it. Sounds like a really upper, right? LOL. No, as with TDLF, I’m trying to bring some levity to heavier issues.

UM: Do you think your background as an actress has helped with character development in your fiction writing?
A:
Definitely. I think for fiction to read true, you have to find a way to really dig into your characters, much like an actor does for his roles. Bad fiction, to me at least, is when you get the sense that the author knew that the characters should be feeling one way, and thus describing this feeling in words, but not really understanding the motivation behind those emotions. The writing often comes out as flat or clichéd or just uninteresting. Often times, I’d find myself sitting at my computer so immersed in Natalie, my protagonist, that I really was completely lost to everything else going on around me. And I hope that this sense of immersion translates to the book and thus to the reader.

UM: What is the most commonly asked question on Ask Allison?
A:
Hmmm, probably how people can get their start in magazine writing. To a newbie, it seems like such a daunting task, and the national mags are so formidable, that people don’t even know where to begin. But you start small and chip away at it until you land bigger things. Building a freelance career is a snowball effect, and you can’t expect it to happen immediately. If instant gratification is your thing, freelancing is not. And if you have a thin skin, I’d also suggest looking for a different way to channel your writing aspirations. It’s a tough career, but with persistence and strong writing skills, it can definitely happen.

UM: What are your plans to celebrate the book launch?
A:
Well, I was going to throw a big party in NYC, but the truth of the matter is that I’m the mom to two small children, and I just don’t have the energy! How sad is that? But I am doing a big book signing at Borders in NYC, and all of my friends and family will turn up for that. We already celebrated when the book sold, actually. My husband planned an elaborate surprise dinner at a fabulous restaurant for me…only he accidentally forwarded me an email with an RSVP on it a week before the dinner. Oh, poor guy. He was crushed that he ruined the surprise. But it didn’t matter: we had a fabulous evening with friends and family, and that was celebration enough for me. We’re also going away over Memorial Day weekend – without the kids – to Sonoma for a wedding, so that should be a nice way to indulge. Massages here I come!

Thanks so much, Allison, and congrats on yesterday’s book release! Order your copy here.