Lovely Girl   +  plan

5 Lame Excuses from Late-Paying Clients--And How to Respond

money in wallet

Last week I ran into some payment delays with a client. Now, as most freelancers know, payment problems are not terribly unusual, so it's a good idea to build an extra cushion into your budget just in case. I knew I would eventually get paid and that I was not going to starve over a few hundred bucks, but every time I have to wait an extra month (or three) to get paid, it irks me that the client is essentially getting an interest-free loan. The email exchange went something like this: "yes, normally you would have gotten paid a month ago, but we're having some issues with our system, so it will probably be at least another month before we can pay you." Me: "That's not acceptable. What can we do to expedite this?" Them: "Well, if you'll just be patient, you'll get paid in another month or so." Me: "Who should I contact about getting this resolved?"
After several polite but firm emails, they agreed to speed things along (hallelujah!). Here are several more excuses that clients give for paying late--or not at all. Usually when I get an email like these, my initial impulse is to fire back a snappy retort. But I'm working to curb that impulse, as you'll see below.

  1. Your editor left, and we've decided not to use your article.
    What I'd like to say: Would you also order a pricey meal, then decide not to eat it? Or hire a contractor, then decide you liked your kitchen better before renovations? Cuz that's essentially what you're doing here.
    What I should say: Sounds like you're going through some changes, and I'd love to know more about your new editorial vision. Since my editor approved this article before she left and my contract is with your publication, not the editor, I assume that you'll be paying me in full per the contract.
  2. We lost your invoice.
    What I'd like to say: So, if I lose my cell phone bill, does that mean I don't have to pay it? Or that I can pay it late without incurring a fee?
    What I should say: I'm sending another copy. Could you confirm receipt and make sure this goes out with the next check run? Thanks!
  3. Our accounts payable person is away on maternity leave/vacation/furlough.
    What I'd like to say: Oh, so does that mean you're not getting paid either?
    What I should say: Is there someone filling in while she's away? I know you're busy planning the next issue, so I'd be happy to follow up directly so you can focus on that.
  4. You didn't follow protocol when submitting your invoice.
    What I'd like to say: Maybe that's 'cause your process is so darn complicated! Snail mailing invoices ... what is this, 1989?!
    What I should say: Gosh - I wish I'd known this sooner! I'll resubmit my invoice, but could you make sure I did it correctly this time? Sorry for the confusion!
  5. We've run into some cash flow issues, so we're now paying net 60 days instead of net 15.
    What I'd like to say: How nice for you that you can change the payment terms at will. Too bad I can't do that with my bills! Oh, and since you're able to change the payment terms, I've decided to change my deadline.
    What I should say: Hmmm ... my current agreement states that I will be paid net 15, so would it be possible for you to pay part of my invoice now?
NOTE: I'm not a lawyer (nor do I play one on TV), so depending on your individual situation, you may want to consult one regarding contracts or late payments. Have you heard any of these excuses? How did you handle them? Flickr photo courtesy of elycefeliz